Da Lat is a MUST DO in Vietnam. There are so many awesome things about this city…
- The weather: It is in the mountains, so it is cool at night and extremely nice during the day.
- Easy Rider Tours: One day or multi-day motorcycle tours around the Central Highlands with great guides/drivers. One of the highlights of my entire trip so far. During our tour we visited Pongour Falls, Elephant Falls, an orchid farm, an oyster mushroom farm, a coffee farm, and a place where they brew rice wine.
- The waterfalls: There are at least four lovely waterfalls near Da Lat: Pongour Falls (the biggest and most beautiful), Elephant Falls (also beautiful, can climb down behind it and get very wet), Datanla (a series of falls and a river where you can go canyoning; also a mini-adventure park), and Prenn Falls (didn’t see it because I heard it’s not great).
- Canyoning: A mix of rappelling (abseiling) down waterfalls, jumping off cliffs into a river, sliding down rapids, and trekking. A real adrenaline rush!
- The town: So picturesque! Has a large lake in the center, adorable tall, skinny buildings, and beautiful mountain valley surrounding.
- Cool, unique buildings: Da Lat is home to Crazy House and 100 Roofs Cafe. Both are difficult to describe, but they are funky, eclectic, fun buildings to explore. Crazy House is a tourist attraction tree-house/hotel. 100 Roofs Cafe is a bar with a dozen or so secret passageways to explore, some in pitch darkness.
- Friendly Fun Hostel: A wonderful hostel owned by the sweetest, most caring woman in the world who we nicknamed “The Angel.” She prepares an amazing family dinner every night for only $3. THE place to stay in Da Lat.
- Da Lat wine: Da Lat is famous in Vietnam for its wine. I’ve now drank at least four bottles of it and I can say from experience that it’s pretty damn good!
- Truc Lam Pagoda: A Zen Buddhist monastery in a pine forest that you can take a cable car up to. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens. Definitely worth a visit!
We stayed for four nights and I easily could have stayed for a month! I kind of fell in love with this city.
THINGS WE DID ON OUR EASY RIDER TOUR:
100 ROOFS CAFE & BAR
TRUC LAM PAGODA & ZEN BUDDHIST MONASTERY
DA LAT WINE